School of EPS: Current Staff & Students

EPS Current Students and Staff

Getting help

For up to date information about EPS IT facilities, please see the EPS IT pages on the HW Intranet.

Old information


If you require assistance in any aspect of using school computing facilities, or wish to report a problem which has arisen, then please do this
by sending electronic mail to - this causes your message to go to a group of support staff, one of whom will respond quickly to you.

If you are unable to send email, then you should phone x 3290 and leave a voicemail message.
One of the IT staff will pick this up and respond as above.

In the event of neither of the above methods being available, you should go to the EPS IT Help Desk. This is located in the Earl Mountbatten Building, Room EM 1.77.
Someone will endeavour to reply ASAP with an indication of when the problem will be fixed. Bear in mind that some problems cannot be solved, others take a lot of resources to solve, and Computer Systems Group staff resources are finite.

Nevertheless if you are unhappy with your response, you may appeal to the School's Senior Computer Officer (Hugh Conner). 

Reporting a problem - 'Best Practice' guide

When requesting help with a problem, please supply as much detail as possible in order to help us find a solution!
Please include a meaningful 'Subject' line in your email message (e.g. "Problem with MS Word"),
and include items such as:-

  • Your full name (e.g. Dr Andrew Smith) 

  • Your office room number including the building (e.g. WP 2.23 instead of just 2.23)

  • Your Heriot-Watt telephone extension (e.g. extn. 8020)

  • Which machine exhibits the problem?
    Note that you can use the "Display Hostname" desktop icon on an EPS workstation to get the hostname - this will look something like "EMPC005" (i.e. Building Code followed by the PC number), so the above example refers to EPS PC #005 in the Earl Mountbatten building.

  • Any associated error messages that were displayed?

  • What you were doing at the time? (and, if relevant, why).

A users response such as "It does not work" conveys no useful information whatsoever, whereas a response such as
"I was trying to use my Outlook Email client when it failed with the following error message ..." is much more helpful to us.

Remember, the more information that you can supply us with at the onset of a problem means that hopefully we can find a faster solution for you!

We also now have a Frequently Asked Questions web page - you should check this page just in case it helps you to resolve your query.
We will be adding solutions and work arounds to the FAQ page - so you might want to bookmark it for future reference.

A related matter concerns requests for work to be done by school Computer Systems Group staff where this work is not a fix to a problem.
If you wish to make such a job request, then you should submit a job request form to the EPS IT Help Desk.

Finally, please do not go directly to your local Computer Officer or IT Technician.
This is not now acceptable school policy, and doing so might actually result in your request taking longer to be resolved...

Contacting the Main University IT Help Desk Facility

The above comments apply to issues relating to the school computing facilities, or to specialised software packages available on the central facilities.

For more general problems relating to the central facilities, such as email, core packages on PC-Caledonia, etc., you should contact
the central Computing Services (UICS).
This is done by sending an email to, phoning x 4045, or going to the UICS Helpdesk in the Library.